Translate

Monday, May 30, 2011

Another Carpe Diem Rant....

Hey all!! It's been awhile. I could call myself a failure. I could call myself a non-communicative twit. But, after a lot of thought it really just comes down to the fact that I'm absent minded and forgot to post. Regardless of the reason, I'm sorry, and I'm very very glad to be back.

I had a thought. The great writer C.S Lewis said in his book The Screwtape Letters "The present is the point at which time touches eternity". He makes the point that all of our fear and anxiety point toward a future, while our anger and resentment point toward the past. All of these things keep our focus away from the only thing that is truly real, the present moment. Those who can truly live in their present moment experience live most authentically; They are, in a most amazing sense, able to find God in every detail.

God has no future and no past. He is purely and truly in the now at all times and in all places. Now, what effect does that have on us? As children of God, made in his image and likeness, we are are not meant to dwell on the future or the past. We are meant to seize life in every moment, living out our days not as if they are our last, but as if they are our only.

But what does that look like? How does one grab life by the collar and live it to the full. Well, the answer is simpler than it initially seems. We follow the example of the saints. Mother Theresa, John Paul II, Padre Pio. The list goes on and on. These are men and women who lived every moment with a purpose and a zeal that seems extraordinary, but the only amazing thing is that we are all keeping ourselves from doing the same.

Jesus said in John 10:10, "I came that they might have life and have it to the full". I think that we need to cling to the one who gives life, and allow ourselves to live fully in the moment that we inhabit. I think that if we can truly do that, we can truly find the happiness that we are made to experience.

May the Lord, our God, bless us
St Joseph, model of manliness, pray for us

No comments:

Post a Comment